Monday 11 June 2018

Bulkhead

You may remember from a previous post that I had made a frankenstein bulkhead but transplanting the centre panel from my rusty bulkhead into a good bulkhead with a modified centre panel. It then got put aside while I carried on with the drive train. In October I had the bulkhead sandblasted and etch primed. Fortunately there was no further rust uncovered by the blasting.

 I then took it to my painter who hit it with a coat of epoxy primer, and a guide coat of black paint so I could start rubbing down.


After hours of rubbing down with wet & dry it was ready for paint. So back to the painter for the top coats of paint. I purchased a basic 2K paint called Metalux, tinted to Land Rover paint code LRC006 MARINE BLUE. It came out a little darker than the original Land Rover Marine Blue but i'm happy with it and the finish is amazing.


Like a kid with a new toy, I couldn't wait to start assembling. The bulkhead is a big step forward as there are so many parts attached to it! I could finally open up the cardboard boxes of parts that I had tucked away all those months ago. The first thing I fitted was the vehicle ID plates and all the plastic thread inserts, then put it up on the chassis in it's rightful place.


Heater blanking plates, vent screens, and steering box fitted.

Upper dash, wiper motor and wiring loom in.

Lower dash and binnacle fitted.
  Brake pedal box & master cylinder fitted.
 Dash nearly complete. Gauges pulled apart and glass cleaned, bezels painted black.

Getting close to first turn of the key!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Long overdue update

It's been over a year since I posted here so I thought i should bring the blog up to date, incase anyone out there actually reads it! ...