Monday 2 October 2017

LT76 Gearbox Rebuilt

My apologies for not getting this post done earlier, I actually finished the gearbox about a month ago but havent found time to work on the blog. Anyway, following on from the last post, I made a list pf all the parts I needed, and placed an order from the UK. I used a new supplier for this order www.brit-car.co.uk ,  mainly because they had a better range of genuine parts than lrdirect.
I tried to use all genuine parts where possible (some items are just stupidly priced so I used Bearmach as a substitute) but I'd say it was 90% genuine. I sourced most of the bearings locally from SaecoWilson, but there were a few that worked out cheaper to get from the UK. For these I used Britpart 'G' suffix items, which are actually reputable brand bearings, just in a blue box, in this instance they were NTN bearings which are good quality.  Here is my total list of parts used


Part No.  Description  Qty 
55714 primary pinion brg RLS12 1
6397 Brg Needle Roller Spigot main shaft front 1
RTC1957 Main Shaft snap ring 2
591364 Syncro ring 1st/2nd 2
RTC1979 Mainshaft peg 1
576734 Mainshaft bush 1
600603 Gearbox gasket kit 1
1645 mainshaft rear brg 6307 1
528701 layshaft front brg 6305 1
RTC1412 Layshaft rear brg - cyl. Roller CFL7A 1
521328 Inter Thrust Washer T Box 2
599869 Inter roller brg 2
217490 Output shaft brg rear T/Roller 14137A 1
90217512 Low Gear/Speedo Drive brg t/roller 28317 1
217325 Front output brg RLS10 1
272596 O Ring Selector Shaft forward gears 2
272597 O Ring Selector Shaft reverse 1
5852 sealing ring - indent springs 2
3649 selector spring forward gears 2
56102 selector spring reverse 1
211502 Oil seal speedo drive 1
217476 Rear Mainshaft Lock Tab S1 2 2A & 3 1
267828 o ring speedo drive 1
561197 intermediate shaft shim 2
532323 intermediate shaft o ring 1
591363 2nd gear 1
RTC1956 detent spring 3rd/4th synchro 3
9960 Circlip main shaft brg 1
528683 lock washer layshaft front brg 1
231116 Spring for reverse gate 2
TRS1013L Range selector shaft seal 1
FRC1387 gear lever ball o ring 1
219723 Gear lever spring 1
236305 mainshaft rear oil seal 1
FRC1780G Output seal 2
571059G Front oil seal 1
561954 Reverse idler bush 1
608283 in/out mech 1st-2nd  1
591362 1st gear 1
556010 3rd gear 1
FRC1758 3rd/4th Synchro clutch 1
571218 Mainshaft distance sleeve 1

So in short, I replaced every seal, every gasket and every bearing. I could talk you through the entire process but all the info is out there on the web. Instead I'll list my sources of info:
I'll let the photos do the talking

 Bits and pieces repainted black
 Parts cleaned and ready for assembly
 Castings degreased 
 Genuine gears
 Ready to go
 New reverse idler bush fitted and machined to fit shaft. Thanks to my Dad, as I was off work and didn't have access to a lathe
 Reverse Idler fitted

 Box of bits from brit-car
 Setting end floats on the main shaft. This was quite time consuming, but all within spec eventually after taking to the bush with some fine emery
 2nd & 3rd gears fitted up. Use a new snap ring for this (get 2, as you have to take it on and off a few times while setting the end floats, and they stretch.
 Genuine synchro (baulk) rings 
 Fitted, I had to use some very fine sandpaper on the gear cone to polish it slightly , as the synchro rings were 'screwing' onto the fine machining marks, effectively getting 'stuck' to the gear. 

 New 1st gear bush 
 All new except 3rd gear and the main shaft
 New springs in the 3rd/4th synchro clutch
 Main shaft bearing, taken from it's original packaging, probably older than the Land Rover!
 New oil seal fitted rear of main shaft 
 Layshaft rear cylindrical roller bearing 

Outer race of layshaft bearing fitted to the main gear case. Contrary to what you may be told, you don't need to freeze or heat all the interference fits. A correctly sized mandrel to press on either the inner or outer race (depending on situation) and a decent hammer was all I needed.
 Main shaft & Layshaft  in the box
 Primary pinion shaft and bearings fitted to the bell housing 
 Bellhousing fitted. This is a fiddle and requires 3 hands to align the first layshaft gear with the primary pinion, while also aligning the castings

New seals fitted to selector shafts. They are genuine LR seals, but they don't look like they'll keep much oil in. I guess that makes it a 'genuine' gearbox if its leaking
 Torquing main shaft nut, to 100 ft/lb with the CORRECT TOOL! No cold chisels in sight..
 Main casing finished (lever fitted just to test that all gears selected) 
 Outer race of taper roller bearing on it's way into the transfer case
 Low & Hi gear fitted

 1x Timken & 1x NTN (britpart 'G' Suffix) Taper roller bearings
 Setting bearing pre-load of output shaft with a spring scale (0.9 - 1.8 kg) This is adjusted by adding or removing speedo housing shims 


 Intermediate gear with new thrust washers, o ring and needle roller bearings. I bought new Santana shims incase the endfloat was excessive but the new thrust washers provided a nice fit.

 Front output bearing fitted, flange w/ seal about to go on
 Lo/Hi range and 4WD selector shafts fitted
 Front output housing fitted to transfer case



Mating up to the main gearcase

 View from the bottom of the transfer case
 Transmission brake parts painted up
 Hasn't looked this good since 1973
 New shoes and springs
 Drum fitted. The nylock nuts are BSF thread. 99% of the gearbox is BSF/BSW so invest in a whitworth socket & spanner set 


Gearbox back in it's rightful place!

I've got 2 new propshafts to go on now, and then the plan is to get the brakes fitted , with all new brake pipes etc. 

2 comments:

  1. How's the landy project going now? Just read all the posts and it's made me very jealous. Just thought I'd comment to let you know that I'd enjoyed reading your blog and that it's great seeing the progress you've been making!
    (A braver man than me going for the full re-build!)
    I've got a late 80's defender that I've currently got in pieces over on my parents farm. I need to get back to it and finish the bulkhead replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was perusing your article and thought about whether you had considered making a digital book on this subject. You're composing would offer it quick. You have a great deal of composing ability. OMC sterndrive parts

    ReplyDelete

Long overdue update

It's been over a year since I posted here so I thought i should bring the blog up to date, incase anyone out there actually reads it! ...