Thursday 10 August 2017

Gearbox rebuild begins

So since my last post I've fitted the front axle, rebuilt the steering relay and fitted new steering linkages and tie rod ends. Unfortunately the U-Bolts I bought for the front are too short, I guess my front springs aren't original. So the nuts are only on by a few turns, I'll eventually take them off and buy some locally, so I can compare the length.

Front axle fitted up. Drag link comes very close to the spring, I'm told it will be OK when the weight is on and the spring flattens out.


Steering relay rebuilt with new bushes and seals. Not a job for the fain hearted. Dealing with the compressed spring gets the heart rate going..


I also bought a series 3 gearbox, as the one that came on my Land Rover was off a series 2A, I figured if I'm going to rebuild one, it may as well be the correct type. This is a suffix A series 3 box, so is period correct for my early 70's series 3.

Series 3 Box up on the bench
I've stripped it down, including the transfer and front output box. And have found the following issues:

  • Bronze bush/distance piece on the main shaft split into 3 pieces (common issue I'm told)
  • 1st gear & the reverse/1st/2nd synchro hub corroded due to water getting into the box.
  • worn teeth on the 3rd/4th synchro clutch 
  • Reverse idler bush worn (these changed to a needle roller from suffix B)
The rest was in pretty good nick. So am just rounding up all the parts I need and will then place an order. I was lucky to find a few of the gears NOS locally, from a guy in Gore who had bought a lot of stock when the Land Rover dealership closed down. 

Transfer case split from main gearbox


Layshaft, main shaft, 3rd/4th Synchro clutch, primary pinion shaft

Bronze bush seen better days

NOS genuine parts, old at the front, new at the back
Will cover the rebuild in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long overdue update

It's been over a year since I posted here so I thought i should bring the blog up to date, incase anyone out there actually reads it! ...